St. James Strategy helps its clients to focus on the critical capabilities that help organizations to grow, thrive and become sustainable and it ensures that these functions are synchronized for maximum impact. Our services include: strategy advisement, strategic business planning and implementation, organizational and program development, advocacy and field building, marketing, resource development, board governance/development and executive search.
Strategic Business Planning
St. James Strategy's process focuses on the key elements of creating successful strategic business plans:
Comprehensive, flexible, focused on your needs
- Market Analysis
- Competitive Analysis
- Business Model
- Strategic Imperatives
- Strategic Goals and Tactics
We also rigorously analyze and refine all of the critical organizational functions that must be strengthened to achieve success: governance, leadership, program development, finance, resource development and organizational structure. Each of our projects, however, is customized so that emphasis is placed on those functions that need the most attention and relate to the specific strengths and day-to-day realities of our clients.
Each client we work with brings different capacities to the table. Some organizations have plentiful resources available, and want to take a highly hands-on approach to developing their business plan. Others have few resources, or prefer that we lead and implement much of the planning process. St. James Strategy is available to meet our clients in their comfort zone, and we tailor the consulting process accordingly.
Once a plan is complete, we are able to help clients develop a compelling and more concise business plan document, which can be used to help pursue funding opportunities.
Taking the plan to the next level
Our work often also extends past the planning process and into hands-on implementation, supporting boards and management in executing the changes and forward movement the plan recommends.
- Capacity building/Scaling — We focus on strengthening the core capacities necessary for an organization to function most effectively and ensure its sustainability. We believe that strong and healthy nonprofit organizations lead to exciting, viable programs and, ultimately, great impact. Our capacity building work has helped many organizations to scale successfully, greatly expanding their programs, reach, visibility and impact.
- Governance and leadership – We help organizations to assess and improve their stewardship capability and skills. We conduct board evaluations, skills assessments, member surveys and governance training and create development plans that bring new strength and vitality to an organization’s board. We also provide executive coaching to top management ensuring that they have the skills and knowledge to effectively implement the new plan and lead their organization to success.
- Program/organization evaluation — Our evaluation services are geared to improve and enhance both program and organizational development, continuation, and evolution. Our approach recognizes a nonprofit's structure, capacity, and needs and builds on these to ensure measurement systems that produce the information and results our clients seek.
- Financial assessment and development – Even with the most promising strategic plan in hand, an organization will not achieve success unless it has the financial capability necessary to implement and support it. We help organizations to create sound fiscal policies, revenue strategies and financial projections and guide them in making course corrections if necessary.
- Talent recruitment — Often an organization will require new or expanded staff to effectively implement a strategic business plan. We work closely with clients to identify staffing needs and can be available to assist them in searching for top-notch talent.